Tonight I had to sing in a concert and while Ethan and I were talking at lunch I asked him if he would like to come so he could see some "really great" piano players, (since he is learning too.) I figure a bit of inspiration is a good thing. I had such a fun time. We got there a few minutes early so we walked to the store to get a few treats. "We aren't going to buy the food for at home, right mom?" "Nope, just special snacks for tonight." Well not only did he get to pick out one snack, but TWO!" Then we headed into the church for practice time. I told him he could stand by me during practice (sorry Ken, I hope that was okay) but of course, not during the performance. So, he did.
Then we got to sit and listen to a few (about half the concert together, we were guest performers so only sang a few songs.) Then I had to go sing. All went quite well considering he, at age almost six, was left by himself in the seat to watch the set we were singing. He only brought all our bags and water bottles down the middle isle of the church to the front row seats during the MIDDLE of our second song...not too distracting since he didn't trip (but man was I praying and trying sooo hard not to laugh!) Then after another song while Ken was telling about the piece we were going to sing did he stand up and motion to me that we only had four, yes four, songs left. I am not sure if Ken knows that was happening after each piece or not...not sure I really want to know. So, all in all. A little tiny bit embarassing, a lot of internal laughter, and now I know what lessons we must work on before taking him, to sit alone, by himself, at another performance. All I kept thinking was what a blessed joy he is in my life. And that life is too short to take this all too seriously. I really, really, really hope that everyone else found this half as funny as I (realizing that I was a tish mortified) but that he really, really, really enjoyed going. In his words the best part was, "everything, all of it!" Not bad for my almost six year old. Ethan I LOVE you!
Something else that I forgot to mention. Ethan brought his hand held Diji game toy and did not even once bring it out of his bag. He decided to read a couple of books instead. What an awesome kid!
10 years ago
1 comments:
Oh, dear Leah, that was one of my favorite "life" moments of all time! The thoughtfulness he showed in packing up not only his backpack, but also mom's bag, then carefully tucking them each under a chair... And the way he listened and watched - especially the way he watched you... it just melted my heart!
Kudos to you, Leah, for having the courage to bring a 6-year-old to a grown-up concert. Adults so often under-estimate what our kids will like and fear for how they might act. Ethan did a great job - and I think the audience thoroughly enjoyed him, too :)
Love you...
Kelley
Post a Comment