Did that get your attention? on March 20th we received out first shipment of LIVE animals to our home. We ordered caterpillars, ladybug larve, and praying mantis. This has been so much fun! We have been watching them every day and then we talk about what is going on. Did you know that caterpillar waste is called frass? Who knew?!? Ethan has been journaling every couple of days as our record keeper. Have I mentioned this is awesome!

I wish we had taken a few more photos when they first arrived, I guess we will next time though. This looks to be after we had them for eight days already.

On day nine we found them all on the bottom of the cup. They must have to eat a lot before turning to the pupa stage of life as they had not all been so crowed like that before.

Day 10 and Avery (who is tiny bit more interested in the bugs than Ethan is) brought the cup over to the table and... holy cow! one had made its first significant change!

Day 11, today, I just checked them again this evening. I took a photo with the flash and one of the caterpillars started going nuts! I thought it was being a bit camera shy until I realized it was a bit over reacting in anger! It was so mad I got to literally watch it pop its head off!!! (Which apparently is a normal thing to happen...as I had noticed earlier that it appeared that another ones head was at the bottom of the cup.) This is so crazy cool!

Up close, the bug on the far right is the one with the temper.
I can hardly wait to see what they are doing in the morning!
0 comments:
Post a Comment